Thursday, May 20, 2010

MESSY KITCHEN!!

So today after work, I decided to go to grocery store to get ingredients to make a delicious cake for the people who have acted like my co-workers since November. They often bring snacks in and share with me, so I figured on the last day of school, I'd do the same for them.

I also had to make something to take to Ben's sister's house for a BBQ tomorrow night. However, I didn't think of this until I got home, and was not about to run to the store again. So, I figured I could just quickly make banana bread since I knew I had everything I needed, and I'd be using the oven anyway (for the cake).

So, I get home. I don't even sit down. I do the dishes from last night, and get started with the cake. I get it in the oven, and then go to get stuff out to start working on the banana bread. I open the refrigerator to grab the butter, and notice there is a pinkish liquid on the shelf it is sitting on. I am thoroughly confused, as butter is in no way pink, and we do not keep juice in our house on any kind of a regular basis. I notice a raspberry preserve jar behind the butter, but can't figure out how any liquid would be coming from that. So, I start digging. It's ALL over the shelf. I run to get the paper towels, but sure enough, we are out. I was not aware of this. So, I grab a kitchen towel and a bowl and start pushing the liquid into the bowl. Only THEN, realizing there is 5 pounds of chicken being thawed on the same shelf. YEP, it's leaking. I have raw chicken juices ALL OVER. And, since the bowl I grabbed was not big enough to cover the entire shelf, I now have raw chicken juice on not only that one shelf, but the shelves below it too. I figured, at least the drawers were shut. But then I look, and sure enough, some has slipped through the non-air-tight drawers and gotten all over them too. So I start emptying the refrigerator.

Just as I get everything emptied out, the buzzer on the oven goes off. Yep, my cake is done. But of course, I can't exactly get to it, as my hands at this point are covered in raw chicken juices. I am getting so frustrated, but manage to get over to the sink to SCRUB my hands, arms, etc., and then get the cake out of the oven. It is, of course, one of those cakes that isn't done at that point. I must then poke holes in it and pour things into those holes. One of those things is caramel, which I have not had a chance to heat up yet, and so it's too thick to pour. As I am heating it in the microwave, I call Ben (who isn't home from work yet because he's hanging out with his coworkers and has forgotten to tell me he would be home late). I ask him what he is doing and tell him that I NEED him to get to the store and buy paper towels and get home ASAP. He SOMEHOW gets me to laugh at the situation, and for that I'm grateful.

I get off the phone, and start walking back over to the refrigerator to see what else I can get accomplished (pull out shelves, drawers, etc.). But, I take one step, and for the first time, notice that I have stepped in this wonderful liquid and have been dragging it all over the kitchen floor with the bottom of my shoes! I am NO LONGER laughing. Now, I am near tears. My kitchen is torn apart, and I still have banana bread to make!

Ben finally gets home, helps clean up what is left to clean up, and scrubs everything down with wonderful cleaners! He tells me he'll take care of the rest of it so that I can make the banana bread. It's finally done! I go shower (because while I know it isn't possible that I have it all over my body, I can feel it in my hair, in my bra, EVERYWHERE). The shower helps a great deal. Then, we make dinner, and at quarter til 9, I finally get to sit down for the first time! AHHH...it feels good to sit. It's times like these that help remind me not to take advantage of my comfy chairs and couches! :)

WHAT A NIGHT!!

1 comment:

  1. oh yuck!!!!!!!!!!! i hate when "when it rains it poors" happens :(

    ReplyDelete