Monday, December 20, 2010

LIFE IS GOOD

I see that the last time I blogged was in June. A lot has happened since then. In September, Ben and I went on a short term mission trip to Spain. What a WONDERFUL experience that was! The people we met were amazing. So kind and open hearted. Some, so very ill with drug abuse. Just the other day we got an email about one of the ladies we met. She lives with her brother, and her brother came home and saw that she was hanging herself. Luckily, he got her down in time. We are praying regularly for her now. Her addiction is keeping her from doing God's plan.

When we returned home from Spain, there was a big celebration with friends for my 30th bday, our friend James' 30th bday, and our friend Karin's 25th bday. It was a day after that when we got some wonderful news. We were pregnant again!

I wasn't sure how Ben would feel about it, as we weren't really expecting this so soon (We started trying while in Madrid after our mission work---and it obviously happened before that). But when he found out, there was more excitement than I have ever seen on his face. Relieved, I smiled too. But behind that smile was fear. Oh, don't get me wrong. I was very excited for the possibility of having a baby with the love of my life. But I was also nervous to get so excited, knowing how things had turned out almost a year prior.

Well, fast forward a few months, and the nerves have not entirely disappeared, however the excitement is much more pronounced. We will be 18 weeks along in a few days, and it's starting to feel like this is really going to happen! My excitement is overwhelming.

Ben and I have always wanted children. We just didn't want them right away. We wanted to get some traveling out of the way. We wanted to get some ridiculous bills from our single lives taken care of. We wanted to be a bit older when we settled down. So, with the bills taken care of years ago, and the traveling we've done more extensive than we ever imagined it would have been, what better time than the present to start a family.

I always said I wanted to stay home full time. I still think there is a part of me that really badly wants that. However, there is another part that's saying working part time would be great too. I don't want to become a woman who lives to care for only my children. I have seen how that can sometimes play out. When the kids are grown, these women don't know what to do with themselves. They don't know what their purpose is. I don't want that for myself. BUT, I also think it's vital that a parent is home with their kids. My mother was with us, and Ben's was with them. I think it is a much more important job than most people make it out to be. I think it allows closeness that children of a working mother don't necessarily have. Plus, I think it's just a blessing to the family to have all those precious moments and memories together. So, I'm due in May. What PERFECT timing. God's always got this covered doesn't He!?!? I can work most of this school year, and then have my summer off as usual to see how I like staying home. I get a full 3 months to think about it, mull it over, and make a decision. PLUS, since I am a sub, I can gradually put myself back into work if I choose. Or not work at all after that, without any rush! I just have to work 5 days a semester to keep my job!

A friend of mine, who also does a blog, has decided to do a nearly daily blog of the little things each day that are big blessings. I am inspired by this woman, and find her idea so great, that I think I might just try it out myself. Sometimes, it's so easy to lose track of all the blessings God has given. I don't want that for her, I don't want that for any of you reading this, and I don't want that for me.

So for now, I am thankful to have had a wonderful weekend with my family celebrating Christmas. The laughter that filled our house on Saturday was overwhelming! I love them so dearly!
I am also thankful that Ben's sister and brother-in-law joined us with their two kids last night for our Candle Light service at church. It's always nice to have them along for church activities.
And well, as far as today, I am thankful to have the day off. I am thankful that Ben's got a job to go to. And I am thankful for the mess that is left over from this weekends activities to remind me how blessed I am to gather with family to celebrate the birth of our savior, Chris Jesus!
This year I have been in the Christmas spirit more than any other year I can remember. It's a beautiful time of year! I can't quit singing corny Christmas songs, and watching cheesy Christmas movies! :) LIFE IS GOOD!!

1 comment:

  1. you are so right amanda, it is very easy to lose sight of all the blessings in life and focus on things not going the way we want! i try to remind myself every time i start thinking that way. GOD IS GOOD! and every thing is in his plan not ours.
    I also agree that being a full time mother is much harder and more work then outsiders think. You will figure it out.. part time is good when you have a loving care giver for the baby when you are away. May will be a perfect month for the baby.. thats when i had jack and it was great!!

    ReplyDelete